Welcome to the Topic “What Is YouTube Shorts?”
YouTube Shorts is a new, experimental format from YouTube that’s about brevity, not briefness. It’s a series of short-form videos (i.e., shorter than standard YouTube videos) produced in collaboration with top global creators to test out different types of content and see what resonates best with audiences. And while most experiments are created to fail so that lessons can be learned, we believe there’s great potential for success here.
There are few mediums riper for short-form content than a video streaming platform like YouTube. And the fact that some of the best minds are conducting these experiments in video means they have every opportunity to succeed. But how? Read on and get up to speed on all things Shorts:
With its experimental format, YouTube can’t promise that what you see today will be the same as what you see tomorrow. That’s why YouTube Shorts is not a specific show. It’s an umbrella term for a host of experimental short-form video content currently in production. However, you can expect a few general things from YouTube Shorts.
First and foremost, they’re short. Like, really short. They range in length from 30 seconds to five minutes, with the majority falling between one and two minutes. This is because YouTube audiences have shown a clear preference for shorter content.
Actually, that’s the thing about YouTube Shorts: They could take on any format imaginable. Unlike traditional TV shows, whose formats are well established, there are no rules to follow with YouTube Shorts. That’s what makes them so exciting!
For example, one of the first YouTube Shorts will be a series of instructional videos from BuzzFeed Blue. They’ll teach you how to do everything from making a perfect cocktail to folding a t-shirt (and yes, you’ll get to learn how to properly iron your dress shirts). What about a Bollywood dance workout? You might see all of these things and more in YouTube Shorts.
– Disney: A series of short-form videos featuring characters from the House of Mouse. These videos will be produced in multiple languages and could expand to feature other Disney properties such as Pixar and Marvel.
– Ellen DeGeneres: You might be surprised to learn that YouTube’s most popular creator didn’t rank in the top 10 most-watched channels in 2018. But expect that to change in 2019 with Ellen’s YouTube Shorts. The series will feature celebrities and other notable guests.
– Endemol Beyond: This joint venture between Endemol and online video giant Google will produce various short-form content. It’s a wide-ranging effort that could include everything from documentary to narrative content.
– JASH: This is a new company owned by the people behind YouTube Shorts. They’re promising “stuff that you’ll want to watch.” What kind of “stuff” remains to be seen?
– Maker Studios: The YouTube-owned studio has produced a large number of pop culture phenomena, including Epic Rap Battles and The Fine Bros. Maker Studios says they’re experimenting with “different content formats to see what resonates best with audiences.”
– Fullscreen: Fullscreen is one of the largest multi-channel networks on the planet. And they’re going big with YouTube Shorts. They have a wide-ranging slate, including everything from animation to documentary to scripted content.
– High Maintenance: This widely acclaimed series has been praised as one of the best things to ever happen to short-form content. Now, it’s bringing its unique brand of comedy to YouTube Shorts.
– JIMMY: Jimmy Carrane is a comedy podcast producer and host. He’s worked with some of the biggest names in comedy. Now he’s bringing his experience to YouTube with a series of comedy shorts.
– The Young Turks: This long-running political talk show is one of the most popular on YouTube. The show’s been around since 2002, but they’re just getting started with YouTube Shorts.
– Beyond: This is an original series from Endemol Beyond. They’re promising “a series of surreal, cinematic narratives that explore the modern human condition.” Beyond could be anything from a surreal drama to an existential thriller.
– The Fine Bros: Fine Bros Productions knows how to produce successful online videos. They’ve been doing it for years and are bringing their expertise to YouTube Shorts.
If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s this: YouTube is experimenting with various formats for short-form video content on YouTube Shorts. From comedy to drama to music to educational content and more, there’s something for everyone. Those creators that can adapt best to this new format will be able to find a new, expansive audience.
And those who don’t will miss out on a huge opportunity.
Now it’s time to go out there and experiment. All you need to do is take a look at what the top creators are doing and find a way to fit that into the short-form video format. It may take a few tries, but you’ll find something that works.
Have any questions regarding the topic “What Is YouTube Shorts?” feel free to comment below.